In 2010, an alliance was created between PCS Residential in Eagan, Minn. and the Minneapolis branch of Pella Windows and Doors. By working with Pella and taking advantage of Pella's prefinished trim service and interior prefinished windows, PCS has been able to increase productivity and improve their overall margin.
How to Jumpstart Your Digital Marketing Strategy
If you want to get on your prospective homeowners’ radar, increase leads, schedule more appointments and earn more referrals it’s time to focus your digital marketing strategy.
Today, potential customers are constantly online using search engines and social media to find and research potential home improvement companies. In fact, 81 percent of consumers conduct online research before making a major purchase – this includes remodeling and home building purchases.
As a home improvement business, it’s critical to understand how your customers find you and what they need. While offline marketing like radio, television and print advertising are great for promoting your business, an integrated plan that includes digital marketing will help you gain and retain the attention of potential homeowners. Here are two essential digital marketing tactics that you should have to help your business grow.
Claim your domain
The most important component of a home improvement business’ digital marketing strategy is its website. A good website gives you the opportunity to show off your professionalism, relevant work examples and your knowledge of the industry. And – let’s face it – without a website, homeowners will have a hard time finding you.
“Before you design and develop a website, it's important to take a step back and ask yourself, ‘What would my target customer want to accomplish on my website?’” says Pella Senior Interactive Marketing Manager Erik Carlson. “Too many websites are not customer-focused. Put yourself in your customers' shoes and think about what they want to accomplish on your website.”
Here are a few questions to ask as you prepare to set up your website:
- What differentiates you from your competition?
- Are your services clearly articulated?
- Do you have examples of your work with relevant quotes from satisfied customers?
- What geographic areas do you serve?
- Is your contact information easily discoverable?
To put it simply, from the moment someone lands on the homepage, the content should explain who you are, what you do and what sets you apart.
Learn more about how to set up a website, choose a design theme and start publishing content.
Be smart about social media
Social media provides home improvement companies with the unique opportunity to connect with potential and current homeowners, manage online reputation and quickly build a core network of supporters. Through platforms like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and HouzzPro you can connect one-to-one with your customers, learn about specific preferences, direct people to your website, announce new projects, showcase your work and more.
But just because it’s easy to create social media profiles, doesn’t mean you don’t need a game plan. Here are a few things to keep in mind when adding social media to your digital marketing strategy:
- Choose the right platform: If your customers aren’t using Twitter, then you don’t need to be there. Consider your target audience demographic and focus your efforts on connecting on one or two platforms.
- Being present on social media platforms isn’t enough. You have to proactively engage and publish content. Think about the type of content you want to create and share about your business and the frequency you want to publish. And remember, start slowly and utilize content you may already have like photos of your latest project.
- Know your resources. Social media is an extension of your business’ reputation, so having the right people in place to take care of that reputation is crucial.
“Social media can be an effective way to reach new audiences and continue the conversation with existing customers. But as with anything, it’s all about having a plan and committing to it,” says Pella Social Media Specialist Nicolle Picray.
- Learn more about how your business can use social media to boost sales.
You May Also Like
Take a step-by-step look at how to install nail-fin windows in a range of wall systems. Energy Efficient General Contractor Jake Bruton gives you the demonstration in this four-part video series.
As a proud supporter of the #KeepCraftAlive movement, Pella made financial and window donations to aid the SkillsUSA National Leadership and Skills Conference for aspiring tradespeople.
Sign up for news, product updates and more