Wood Installation Systems
Pella® wood products are appropriate for a variety of wall conditions – whether for new construction, everyday renovation projects or high-profile historical restorations. And we have a full range of installation accessories to accommodate the installation of Pella windows and doors in virtually any structure.
- New Construction
- Technical Documents
- Complete Tear-Out of Existing Frame and Sash
- Retain Existing Frame and Replace Sash
Renovation Complete Tear-Out of Existing Frame and Sash
Complete Tear-Out of Existing Sash and Frames
Applicable when a complete tear-out is necessary for historical, aesthetic or structural considerations.
- Custom-size units available
- Good for virtually any existing opening
Depending on the needs of the project, wood or aluminum-clad wood windows can be used to replace existing wood or metal windows when a complete tear-out of the existing frame and sash is required
Replace with Aluminum-Clad Wood Windows and Frame Expanders
There are many options available for replacing the existing wood or metal windows with aluminum-clad wood windows. One approach is to replace the existing frames with wood blocking and cover the blocking on the exterior with the Pella Frame Expander System.
- It provides an economical method for replacing old wood or metal windows
- Pella aluminum-clad windows and doors have an accessory groove that allows for the use of the frame expander system
- Made of low-maintenance aluminum cladding that perfectly matches Pella products, these frame expanders can be used to cover the new blocking
- Windows need to be accessible from the exterior to use this type of installation
Replace with Aluminum-Clad Wood Windows and Brickmould
Replace with Aluminum-Clad Wood Windows, Receptor and Subsill
A second approach is to replace the existing wood or metal windows with aluminum-clad wood windows and a Pella receptor and subsill system. Receptors are often used for multistory buildings requiring installation from the interior or when a more robust installation method is desired.
Replace with Wood Windows
There are also many options available for replacing the existing wood windows with new wood windows. One approach that involved a complete tear-out of the existing wood windows is shown below. The details for both the existing wood windows and the new wood windows are included.
- The first step is to replace the existing wood frames with new treated wood blocking at the head and jambs
- Then the new wood window can be attached to the blocking with clips or anchored to the blocking through the window frame
A local Pella team member is ready to help you with your project.
Sign up for news, product updates and more